Attributed to: Joseph Nickolls
1726 – 1755
Joseph Nickolls 1726 – 1755, A View of the Old Bridge at Putney
Our painting details the old approach road to the bridge which was an ancient pathway that led from Fulham Ferry to the Bishop of London's Palace, where boats used to land on the small beach at the side of the Bridge. A toll bridge, it featured tollbooths at either end of the timber-built structure. The buildings to the right formed part of an ancient settlement which included the Swan Inn. Built in 1698, this alehouse derived much of its trade from people using the adjacent ferry.